“To create a world where sustainable living will be the norm; where equitable access to clean energy, clean air, and clean water will be the norm; where mutual respect and harmony for and between humankind and the environment will be the norm.”
The World Institute of Sustainable Energy (WISE) is a not-for-profit organization established in 2004, based in Pune, India.
Since its inception, WISE has pioneered many important initiatives. These include:
- Developing state-level action plans/roadmaps for climate mitigation through accelerated deployment of clean energy technologies.
- Developing a renewable energy pathway for achieving the target of 15% renewable energy by 2020, as specified by the National Action Plan on Climate Change (the Government of India officially accepted WISE’s findings for inclusion in the five-year plan targets).
- Developing state-level vision documents and renewable energy action plans for the transition to a low-carbon and energy efficient economy.
- Facilitating India’s transition to a low-carbon economy by supporting implementation of national policies and programmes through the development of offshore wind power (for the first time ever) in India, in collaboration with the EU (as part of a global consortium).
- Capacity building of renewable development agencies and professionals across the country.
- Policy research and policy advocacy in critical areas like transitioning to a sustainable energy system by 2050, accelerating wind power and solar energy in India, power sector reforms, etc.
- Piloting a model Renewable Energy law for India.
Our work with International Governments has led to
- Strengthening cooperation with and building capacities of member countries.
- Developing implementation mechanisms for accelerating RE development and fostering sustainable development in India, the Asia-pacific, and West Africa.
Our work with Central and State Governments of India has led to
- Development of policy roadmaps and regulatory frameworks for advancing RE development in the country.
- Facilitating policy and regulation in fourteen states, including Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, the UT of Puducherry, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Odisha, Assam and Manipur.
Our work with the RE Industry/Associations has resulted in
- Mediating policy to introduce appropriate financing mechanisms and boost indigenous manufacturing within the sector.
- Enhancing human resources/skills development to build technical and core competencies, strengthen the sustainable energy sector, and ensure the smooth transition to a low-carbon economy.
Compassion and Respect
Being humane is a key priority and WISE’s motto. We foster a culture of kindness, dignity and respect for all. We believe in valuing professional relationships and human resources, as they form the building blocks of a strong and healthy work environment.
“ What good is an idea if it remains an idea? Try…experiment…iterate…fail. Try again. Change the world. ” – Simon Sinek
We at WISE believe that innovation is key to growth and progress. Our ability to innovate and experiment with new ideas and thoughts and convert them into tangible action has been focal to our journey in the sustainability arena. It has instilled in us the courage of conviction to believe in our dreams, believe that failure is but a stepping stone to achieving our goals, and transcend from ‘where we are’ to ‘where we need to be’.