This is Us
“To create a world where sustainable living will be the norm; where equitable access to clean energy, clean air, and clean water will be the norm; where mutual respect and harmony for and between humankind and the environment will be the norm.”
“ Restoring Earth’s energy balance is the fundamental requirement for stabilizing our climate. ”
By James Hansen
From ‘Storms of My Grandchildren’
The World Institute of Sustainable Energy (WISE) is a not-for-profit organization established in 2004, based in Pune, India.
Since its inception, WISE has pioneered many important initiatives. These include:
- Developing state-level action plans/roadmaps for climate mitigation through accelerated deployment of clean energy technologies.
- Developing a renewable energy pathway for achieving the target of 15% renewable energy by 2020, as specified by the National Action Plan on Climate Change (the Government of India officially accepted WISE’s findings for inclusion in the five-year plan targets).
- Developing state-level vision documents and renewable energy action plans for the transition to a low-carbon and energy efficient economy.
- Facilitating India’s transition to a low-carbon economy by supporting implementation of national policies and programmes through the development of offshore wind power (for the first time ever) in India, in collaboration with the EU (as part of a global consortium).
- Capacity building of renewable development agencies and professionals across the country.
- Policy research and policy advocacy in critical areas like transitioning to a sustainable energy system by 2050, accelerating wind power and solar energy in India, power sector reforms, etc.
- Piloting a model Renewable Energy law for India.
“ The industrial era of energy and transportation is giving way to an information technology and knowledge-based energy and transportation era. The combination of bit-based and electron-based technologies will put an end to conventional atom-based energy and transportation industries. The disruption will be a clean one. ”
By Tony Seba
From ‘Clean Disruption’
Our work with International Governments has led to
- Strengthening cooperation with and building capacities of member countries.
- Developing implementation mechanisms for accelerating RE development and fostering sustainable development in India, the Asia-pacific, and West Africa.
Our work with Central and State Governments of India has led to
- Development of policy roadmaps and regulatory frameworks for advancing RE development in the country.
- Facilitating policy and regulation in fourteen states, including Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, the UT of Puducherry, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Odisha, Assam and Manipur.
Our work with the RE Industry/Associations has resulted in
- Mediating policy to introduce appropriate financing mechanisms and boost indigenous manufacturing within the sector.
- Enhancing human resources/skills development to build technical and core competencies, strengthen the sustainable energy sector, and ensure the smooth transition to a low-carbon economy.
“ We should spend the next decade focusing on the technologies, policies and market structures that will put us on the path to eliminating greenhouse gases by 2050. It is hard to think of a better response to a miserable 2020 that spending the next ten years dedicating ourselves to this ambitious goal. ”
By Bill Gates
From ‘How to Avoid A Climate Disaster’
Compassion and Respect
Being humane is a key priority and WISE’s motto. We foster a culture of kindness, dignity and respect for all. We believe in valuing professional relationships and human resources, as they form the building blocks of a strong and healthy work environment.
“ What good is an idea if it remains an idea? Try…experiment…iterate…fail. Try again. Change the world. ” – Simon Sinek
We at WISE believe that innovation is key to growth and progress. Our ability to innovate and experiment with new ideas and thoughts and convert them into tangible action has been focal to our journey in the sustainability arena. It has instilled in us the courage of conviction to believe in our dreams, believe that failure is but a stepping stone to achieving our goals, and transcend from ‘where we are’ to ‘where we need to be’.
“ In many ways, the climate crisis is a spiritual crisis, laying bare the cumulative consequences of allowing ourselves to have become so completely disconnected from each other, from the world around us, and from our basic responsibility for all those who come after us. ”
By Jonathan Porritt
From ‘Hope in Hell’
G M PILLAI
Founder Director General, WISE
Mentor & Chief
The World Institute of Sustainable Energy (WISE) is registered under the Bombay Public Trusts Act, 1950, as well as the Societies Registration Act 1860 and is supported by funding from state and central governments, and national and international foundations and institutions. Grants and donations made to WISE are eligible for exemption u/s 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961. WISE is also registered under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010, besides registration under Section 12A (a) and Section 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961, and under central government’s ‘DARPAN’ portal. WISE duly complies with all the regulatory reporting requirements under the Indian law.
For more details on our funding, please click here.
For more details on FCRA, please click here.
Plot No.44, Hindustan Estates, Road No. 2,
Kalyani Nagar, Pune 411 006.